It has been quite a year in the world of supercars and racing. For months we waited with anticipation to see what records would be broken – and whether Shane Van Gisbergen would continue his dominance and reign supreme as the best current V8 Supercar driver.
From experienced veterans bringing back all their skills to Bathurst to new racers hungry for their chance at glory, the recently concluded Supercars Championship proved to be an exciting and intriguing season for motorsport fans!
In the end, only the best drivers with the right gear end up on the top of the leaderboard. In this article, we look at the Top 5, what they each achieved in 2022 and what we may expect in the new era of gen 3 in 2023.
2022 Supercars Championship Season highlights:
- Shane van Gisbergen dominated the 2022 Championship, with a lead of over 500 points ahead of second-placed driver Cam Waters.
- While Triple Eight Racing took 1st and 2nd in 2021, with Jamie Whincup retiring, his shoes were too big for the talented youngster Broc Feeney, who won in Adelaide and finished in an impressive 6th place in his debut season.
- The big improver was Monster Energy driver Cam Waters, who leapfrogged Chaz Mostert onto the 2nd step on the podium.
- There was not a lot of movement in the top 6-7 drivers, with the DJR Shell duo slotting into 4th and 5th.
Best V8 Supercars Drivers 2022
1. Shane van Gisbergen (1st in 2021)
Best race result:
- Tasmania SuperSprint: 300 pts
- Townsville 500: 300 pts
- The Bend: 300 pts
- Bathurst: 300 pts
- Surfers Paradise: 300 pts